Mar 4, 2016

Complaint about H to BPC

This is the complaint I handed in to the BPC against H. 

Verbatim of the sessions in questions can be found HERE. 

Points of the Code of Ethics I feel have been breached:
1, 2, 7, 8, 14,



I have tried to resolve this psychotherapy experience with H without having to involve the BPC and have asked her numerous times to talk about what was happening. There are also digital recordings of the last few sessions which show that I wanted to understand and resolve what was happening.
I have also asked H for mediation, something she had suggested herself months before the breakdown but shortly after withdrew telling me she preferred if we worked through this alone. Her reply to my need for mediation was “mediation is not an option”.

After being denied mediation I contacted senior analysts in order to save my therapy and find out what was happening to H and myself (I never mentioned H’ name to anyone other than Ms S). Ms S offered H to call or email her. H’ reply to this was “blooming S!” Nothing else was mentioned so I am not sure if she ever got in touch with her.
I am still unsure what exactly happened that caused the breakdown and H’ inability to continue working with me.


My therapy with H started the middle of 2007 and ended in March 2012. In this time I saw H twice weekly at first and then thrice weekly. My complaint is about the last few weeks leading up to the breakdown of my therapy.

I am a newly qualified counsellor but was in training at the time I saw H; something H was aware of. I had been seeing clients for a while when I decided to talk to her about my training. H immediately told me I “wasn’t ready to see clients yet”. When I felt unable to continue speaking about my training after this, she told me I must continue speaking to her about my clients as she was now my “training analyst”.

I felt very uncontained by H’ sudden change in behaviour and tone which triggered my dissociation. I ended up in front of H’ house that day in the hope to restore the trust that I felt had been destroyed. I was in great distress and pain at the time and it was a deeply humiliating and shameful event.

I continued to go to the sessions after this incident but weeks later, in group supervision, colleague L told the group that her therapist H (L was aware that H was also my therapist. H was aware that L and I were part of the same supervision group as she was a supervisor for the same organisation) had sent her away when she was supposed to have had her therapy session. She then mentioned that she had been sent away due to another female client and shared with the group details about that particular situation only H (and I ) knew. When asked by the group how she knew these specific details, she replied that H had phoned her afterwards and had told her.

I told H what had happened in supervision and shared how afraid I was that L now knew this client was me. H responded that I had upset L. I felt deeply ashamed and apologised.
I asked H: What if L had stayed behind that day (she only lives a few minutes walking distance from H’ house) and L had seen me leave and therefore knew that the woman H had mentioned was me? H said nothing.
From that time on L kept coming up to me at my placement asking me many questions about my therapy with H (something she had not done up to that point) and told me I should not misbehave now that I am a counsellor.
I became increasingly worried about those comments but H did not respond to my concerns about my confidentiality instead she became very silent and detached and withdrew all support she had offered me throughout the therapy. For example H had:

·        Given me her mobile number while she was away on holiday (this was H’ idea and I never used it).  
30/09/2011
Dear X
Here is my number......xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I will see you on the 12th, and I will not forget about you.
Stay as safe as you can, and use the hands to remember that we are still in touch, the tree to keep the feelings safe, and the arms to hold the frightened feelings when they come.
H

·        Welcomed and encouraged email contact between sessions. At first she would reply to emails, later on she changed her mind and told me to keep writing the emails as they were important but that she would no longer reply to them as her replies “put me into crisis”. Later on she started to reply to them sporadically even initiating email conversations herself. At no point did H suggest to stop email contact.




·        Emailed me when she was at home, back from her breaks.
24/09/2011
[…]
I am here now this evening, and although I will be out tomorrow, I will be back in the evening, and I do not forget you.
H

25/11/2011
I’m sorry I wasn’t here when you called. I have come back too late to speak with you tonight, and hope you are safe. It is so hard to feel alone , but I don’t forget you , and we will see each other again on Monday.
H

·        Emailed me while on holiday
19/08/2010
Hello

I hope you are ok and that there has not been too much disturbance, as I know this is a long break and it can be difficult.
Even though we have not been meeting I haven't forgotten, and I look forward to seeing you on Sept 1st.

H

·        Suggested phoning her between sessions.
28/07/2008
Dear X
I am sorry that you did not come to your session today. […] I do hope you will come on Thursday so we can talk together. If you would like to speak with me before then, you can phone me, and if you get my answerphone I'll call you back.

28/02/2010
Dear X
I forgot to say that if you would like to speak with me, I will be here for most of the day. If I am not, I will call you back as soon as I can.
H

21/05/2011
Dear X
 […]
I will be in this evening at about 9pm and you can phone me, and I will be here on Sunday from about 6pm.
H

21/06/2011
Dear X

(…) I am here and if you would like to speak with me you can phone me. If you get my answerphone I will call you back. I shall be out for a short time this evening, but will be back by 9.30.

H

11/06/2011
I have only just read your message from yesterday, but wanted you to know that I am here now and that I can see your picture and would like the little girl and all the little ones to stay safe. I am sorry I wasn't here earlier to say this.
H

14/07/2011
[…] I am here, and you can phone me if you need to. […]
H

23/08/2011
[…] I will be able to talk between 6.30 and 7.30 or after 9.40 this evening.
H

·        Offered Skype contact while I was on holiday, which was her idea and I declined.

I am not complaining about the support H offered but about the sudden withdrawal of all support. H withdrew all of the above just before she went on holiday but suggested I phone her the evening before she went on holiday. When we spoke on the phone that evening I asked H why she had taken all support away just before she was leaving which lead to an argument and H put the phone down. Later that evening I received an email from H who had scanned pictures out of the children’s book “Nothing” (a book she had brought into therapy sessions before to read) and had attached those to this email:

 Dear X
 I thought that these pictures would help to remember, and maybe a little comfort for the little ones who enjoyed the story.
I will be thinking of you, and we can meet again on Tuesday Feb 14th at 1.15, instead of our Monday session.
I know this is so hard for you and feels so frightening, but I will be back and I don’t forget you. You have done nothing wrong, and are not bad in any way. am not going away because I want to leave you.
H

I have to mention that H would usually email me whenever she got home from any long or short breaks to soothe the “little ones” (child alters). This is how she worked with me for years. She would also let me know when she was not going to be at home over the weekends and when she came back. This is something H suggested doing, and although it was very important to me and worked well and I am not complaining about this, I had never asked for this.

Some examples:

01/04/2010
Hello
I am writing to let you know about my break. I know you have the dates already, but these breaks can stir up very disturbing feelings, so in case you needed to contact me I am letting you know when I shall be here.
I shall be away for Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and here for the rest, although I shall be out sometimes during the days, and if you leave a message I will reply as soon as I can.
It is really important that you stay safe, and I will be back at the usual times on Monday 12th.
H

26/03/2010
It is very frightening to feel so alone, and the week end is particularly difficult. It was very brave of you to phone me last time and I am very sorry I wasn't here. I shall be out during this week end but will be back each evening. (….)

16/07/2011
I am sorry that I have to leave you when you are having to cope with such terrible feelings. I have come back now and although tomorrow I must go out again, I will be back later and will see you on Monday.
H


After discovering H had been home 2 days early from her break it put me into turmoil and parts of me didn’t understand why she hadn’t got in touch with me like she had done all those years before. I called her in a desperate place but she ignored my call instead she emailed me and told me that she will see me next session. The next session H seemed very angry and told me if I ever phoned or emailed her again the therapy would be over.
When I asked her why she withdrew all support just before she went on holiday she replied “You are a counsellor now, you can get your own helplines.”

I became more and more suicidal after each session and my friend Ms B (a colleague), who helped me through this difficult time, suggested I tape my sessions with H as she felt very concerned that it was becoming abusive of me.

I wanted to honour H’ request and not contact her between sessions which was difficult due to having different parts that can act autonomously (which H knew about and had worked with for the last 4 years).

I felt very frightened of losing her and tried hard to talk to H in the session about my feelings around her break and finding out about her being home early. However, whenever I mentioned any feelings around this, whenever I told her that I needed her help in rebuilding the trust, whenever I mentioned any confusion around any past events regarding my training and the confidentiality break, she cut me short and told me if I carried on talking about this “the therapy would be over”. I told her that a “bad thing” was happening here, she replied “And there are more to come!” I continued to try to express my difficulties around trusting her which was met by H telling me to look for another therapist as she “will (lie) do it again”.

H continued to ask that I speak of my feelings in the session not via email or phone otherwise my therapy with her would be over yet when I wanted to talk about my feelings in the session H told me that if I did not stop talking about this and “concentrate on the present” my therapy would end. I was in a double bind and had no outlet for my feelings and concerns so I decided to write her a letter instead and hand it to her in the session on the 22nd of Feb 2012.

Dear H

I feel so grateful for what you have done. Telling me I am no longer allowed to get in touch with you in between sessions had an amazing impact on me and I now feel free. I feel so happy and grateful and am now able to move on with my life. When I was with you I felt so depressed and hopeless and scared. Terrified. But since you have taken away the emails and telephone contact I have realised that I no longer need you. I feel so happy and relieved and free. I have decided to finish my training with one weekly sessions, I would like to keep the Monday session if that is OK with you, and when I have finished my training [my son] will also have finished his GCSE's. We will then sell the house and move to Dubai. Away from here. I am so so happy about this and cant wait to get back to ZX. We have been apart for too long. We are planning on buying a place there and building our life in Dubai. I really want to thank you for what you have done. I feel extremely grateful for what you have done. You must have known that this would help me snap out of whatever horrible place I was in. I am finally feeling hopeful again, after years of hopelessness and misery I am feeling alive and happy. I look into the future and I feel joy and am so excited. I am sorry that it had to come to this, that you were so affected by my past. I am truly sorry that it had to happen this way but I am free now, ready to move on and away. I no longer feel attached to England, I have always felt it was where I belonged but it isnt. I belong with ZX. I hope that we can work towards an ending now and by the time I have finished my training I will be leaving therapy too.
I would like to start my once weekly sessions next week. Thank you for everything and thank you so so much for pushing me away. It helped me so much. I am finally happy and free.

I feel this letter reflects the fear generated by H’ actions. I was pushed into one part of myself where I had to cut off everything else. And she was absolutely unable to see and understand the hopeless place underneath the ‘happiness’ which was the defence against the despair.

H read the letter and told me “it is full of complete sarcasm. It is completely sarcastic. This is not written to communicate. It’s sarcastic. It is not expressing your feelings.” When I asked H if she thought about the impact her words may have on me, she replied “Your question doesn’t deserve an answer.” By this time it felt like H had completely turned and was incapable of finding any empathy for me.
Being in this double bind, not being allowed to voice my feelings even within the session, as well as being threatened with the end of my therapy (losing H) I had a breakdown and contacted H the following weekend for help:

You asked what I was trying to tell you today... I think I was trying to tell you about the death. The death of my therapy, the death of the holding space, the safe space. The womb. the death of baby me that has prematurely been ripped out. The death of the nurturing umbilical cord between us that has been severed. ripped out and is now lying on the floor next to the baby. And the death of the baby and her innocence. You are standing next to her, the little bloody pile of flesh, only just started to grow a head... no arms yet to reach out...but they would have grown next... but not anymore. those arms will never grow. Blood dripping out of you you stare at the thing you have aborted from your womb. Disgusting horrible thing that caused you so much misery. You look at it with abhorrence and indignation and  as it tries to lift up its head. It is dying and your eyes say "die."
There has been a death, yes. The death of you and the death of me. But most importantly the death of a new beginning, of a new way. The death of a new part that would have known Love and caring boundaries. A baby, child and  adult who would have grown inside of your room, attached to you and your Love, She wanted to grow, I wanted her to grow. There was a time when you wanted her to grow too.... I know you did. Why have you ripped her out H? Why have you severed the cord? I am without life again. I live in a world of nothingness. This little baby was our hope to feel and see this world differently. To experience something different.
It is not boundaries that have destroyed this safe and holding place, it was the way you have done it. And the way this huge and painful rupture has been ignored afterwards. Perhaps you feel that you are not ignoring it and it is me who is ignoring it and you are right that you have indeed mentioned the loss of emails and phonecalls today but how can I talk to you about this when you cannot meet me half way? I know you have convinced yourself that you have done everything right. You havent H. I needed to do this healing my way, and you were OK with this at first. That is why others were showing themselves to you. It was because of your work with us that we were able to show ourselves. I feel that this became too painful for you or too much in some way, which I totally understand and feel deep compassion for you, that you needed space from this pain and darkness. And of course, those "boundaries", not being allowed to phone you or email you will give you that space. I feel very sad, very hurt that you have forgotten about us in your haste to get yourself back to a healthy equilibrium. I wonder if you sometimes wonder about what happens to us in-between sessions now, especially weekends. I wonder if you care if something does happen to us. I wonder where the care for us that you talked about and showed before has gone, and of course I wonder if it was at all real if it is now so easy for you to abandon us without any further support. You know that we are many yet it feels like you expect us to behave like we are one now. You know that there are some who will phone you especially the little ones. How deeply traumatised they will be, it hurts me heart I cant bear thinking about it. All those things I wanted to talk to you about, but I feel my hands are tight because whenever I mention a hurt that has been caused by your actions you tell me how I have a long list of your failings. I dont tell you these things to have a go at you H, I am telling you about my hurt. I am telling you how much I am hurting. yes... your actions have been the trigger of that hurt, but this deep deep hurt that I am feeling was born when I was a baby and child. Yes you have triggered it in me but it is very old hurt. And I wish you could hear me, help me. Help me deal with such hurt. The hurt I am feeling is too much for me. I can no longer manage it and I want to kill myself.  I feel there is no other way out for me. I wish more than anything to stay with you and work this through but what has happened to me in the last 2-3 weeks was unbearable. H, please hear me. It was unbearable. To the point where I had to create a new part. I also had to talk to XY about it who I had been in touch with a couple of month before all this happened. She took it to her therapist and both of them tried to hold me and contain me in my shock and despair. You see, you probably had your friends and or supervision, your own therapy or colleagues you could talk to about this but in your mind I had no one. Not even XY. No one. In your mind I was alone with this. More than anything I want to trust you but how can I when it was and still is OK for you for us to be alone with the pain and terror between sessions. Please help me build up the trust again. I want to. But I need your help. I dont think I could have managed without XY and her therapist. I am not saying this to you to list this as a failure of yours. I understand why you did it.But I need you to understand how horrific and traumatic your actions and withdrawal have been for the inside world.
I find it impossible, and it never even entered my head, to ask for my boundaries also, but when XY therapist talked about me having boundaries in place to protect myself also, I realised that I just let people do what they like with me and the only way to protect myself is to run away. I want to change that but am unable to tell you this in person. I am also unable to come to the next session after I have send this off to you if you dont write back to me and tell me that you will be safe. This is not me trying to manipulate you H, please believe me, i am terrified I am just trying to keep myself safe. I am horrified of you at the moment because of what you have done the last few weeks, but this can be repaired. If you will meet me half way. For me to be able to do this work, work with my detached parts, I need to feel safe enough to let them speak. I dont feel safe enough right now because there is no support in between sessions when terrible stuff comes up for them in the session and they dont have anyone to sooth them or help them. And I cannot do it alone H. I need your help. I need you to help me with this. I thought we were in this together... I hoped so much that you might be able to see what has happened the last couple of weeks but even though you are kind to us in the session, and gentle I get the sense that you dont even remember what happened the last few weeks. How you have shouted at me, the threats, the sarcasm and coldness in your voice. It was horrific. Horrific. I dont have a word for the torture that I experienced in those sessions. I want to work through this and I know that you are not bad. I know that there are things going on for you right now ... things we have done and things others have done in the outside world that worry you. And I believe you when you say you need to put in those boundaries to preserve the therapy, but all I am asking of you H is to think about how this is for me and what you have done to the safe womb that was your room. The safe holding that enabled us to come and talk to you, in session, via telephone and emails. It has silenced us. We are bad. Bad. So bad that not even H wants to be with us, not even a psychoanalyst can stay with us and our pain. Not even someone who has been through pain and humiliation in therapy themselves can keep in mind our pain and humiliation. And shame ... the absolute shame of having been given something good [phone calls emails, a lifeline] and then have it ripped away so violently and with such a thread. It fragmented us.

I feel so hopeless and in a way this is my last attempt after having scratched the bit of energy i have left together to get you back, back to how you used to be... it worked this way  H. we were doing the work this WAS the work. We were doing it...and it got painful and messy and unbearbale. but that is how it was for me as a child... please don’t leave me in this pain. I think I got a sense of you feeling hopeless too. Believing that no matter what you do for me, no matter how kind, it wont help me. It does help me H. It does. It sticks with me. It will take a long time but it is not in vain, your kindness has helped us trust you. this trust scared some of course, of course. It is scary, very scary, and it brought out the ones who dont want the relationships to last but remember when you told me about your cold front? You told me that in a way it is those who are close to you who experience the cold front. And I think the same is going on with us. The ones who are getting close to us, the ones who do actually matter to us, experience the full force of our fear and despair and pain. Often expressed in rage or sadness or hopelessness or uselessness. But we need you. We needed you so much the last few weeks but you left us, ripped the cord out of you and now you are standing there, staring at the pathetic puddle of fleshy blood on the floor. Flesh that looks like it is nothing but a bloody pile of spoilage but we are alive. we have feelings and we are hurting so much that we can no longer live. Before ZX and [my son] have held me in this world and you too..., but this pain is too much for me. I cannot bear it with my mind alone. I need you. I need your mind. I need your compassion. I need you H, but you will probably tell me that my therapy is over now.
But I had to risk this... it is the biggest risk I have ever taken. I feel this is my only chance left to safe the little that has been left over from this what feels like an annihilation. What I would like to do is be able to work through this with you, but if you dont want to I cant make you. But I am now left with something so unbearable, something so mad making. you have been able to get rid of the madness you experienced now... and I understand you needed to to be of any help to me, but at the same time you have left me with the madness all alone. I have no mind to help me inbetween session. I need your mind inbetween session, to help me when things become unbearbale. I dont understand why we could not have talked about the emails and phone calls and found a compromise. I have now been left with nothing. I was so desperate tha I had to phone strangers to help me. Please H dont leave me with this. please write back to me and tell me that you are not angry with me and that you want to talk about this on monday with me. please write back to me and tell me that you will not lay into me on monday. i am scared i am so scared of that because it feels like i am disintegrating when you do that. i cannot survive it. this has been a huge rupture and i cant hold it together any longer. i might seem like i can give as good as i get but i am falling apart. it is too much for me. please, if there still is a therapy after this email, write back to me and tell me that you are not angry with me, that you will not shut at me or tell me to look for another therapist when i talk about ceratin things that hurt. Please H dont leave me dont leave me in this. i need to come and talk about this but i need you to help me. i tried to come to therapy and talk but i am too scared, i need to know that it is safe, that you are safe, that you wont shout at me, threaten me with the end of the therapy. that you will hold on to my pain....
please im begging you, im begging you write back and tell me those things... i need to hear them.
please i dont want to control you or abuse you or threaten you. I dont want to manipulate you. i cant help how i feel. please write back to me... i know that my therapy will be over if i dont hear from you.... its not a thread please dont see it as that. I am just putting something in place for myself to help myself. i am at my end. i need to know if i am still accepted and if you want to work with me. This Is is the work H, please dont leave me.
i hope you will find some compassion for me to reply to me... to still want to work with me... i am in need of support form you. we need you... i feel like I am going to die, i cant hold it together anymore.

H ignored this email and when I returned after that weekend, she told me that my therapy with her was now over because I had contacted her.
I tried to explain to her that the sudden change needs time for everyone internally to adjust (something she had worked with all those previous years but now completely ignored). I tried to understand why she felt she needed to threaten me with the end of my therapy. I needed to talk to her about my feelings regarding all these changes. Yet H did not want to hear any of my feelings or thoughts regarding this instead she told me that I had an abuser within me and that I was a bully and manipulative. I tried to explain to her that she was suddenly reacting like my previous therapist (I had talked to H about my previous therapist M who had also abruptly ended the therapy with me after a holiday. At the time H told me how M acted unethically and seemed to have been caught in the repeat of my past. I hoped by me mentioning M to H, she would reflect what was happening between us) but her reply was “You wanted to destroy M; very nearly did. You wanted to destroy her business, her life.” She also told me that now I wanted to destroy her. H now blamed me for the previous breakdown whereas before she had expressed concern about M’s behaviour and told me that it had not been my fault. I replied that I never wanted to complain against M (H knew that), but just like her, M seemed to have been taken over by some fear which she had no explanation for. Her only way to protect herself against that fear, my projection, was to get rid of me.

I explained to H that the reason I felt I had to complain against M was because she had pushed me away, blamed me for the breakdown and didn’t give me a chance to be heard. I told H I was afraid of her doing the same. I needed to discuss the new “boundary” and the feelings around this especially after her working with me in a totally opposite way the past 4 years. H scoffed at me and replied: “Well, when you put your complaint in you will be able to do that…”.

I continued to tell her that I had no intention to complain; I also wanted boundaries put in place as the things that were happening in our relationship were very painful and humiliating for me but I needed safe boundaries not the rug pulled from under me; the boundaries H was suggesting felt utterly dangerous and like an acting out by the retaliatory therapist.

I asked if she would talk to me about it and that we perhaps find a way together to make this work, for both of us. She told me that she will not be challenged and that she was doing this to save my therapy.

I asked her why there needed to be the threat, why not work with how the change felt for me, her reply was “because that is how it was” I tried to make her aware of the fact that she is apparently doing this to save my therapy yet in her trying to save it, she is threatening to destroy it at the same time. She kept repeating “this is the boundary I put in place now” I told her I wanted to work with the boundaries, the feelings they evoked in me but she would not let me. Every time I mentioned this she told me to look for another therapist. (all this can be heard on tape)

I asked H what she did with the last 4 years where emails and phone calls had been encouraged and welcomed. She said she was “using those four years with the hope that I would be able to use this boundaried therapy now that I was seeing clients.” H told me that if I was able to contain feelings outside of the session with clients, I should now be able to do this in my own personal therapy too. I would agree with this if I did not suffer from DID. For 4 years H recognised the separateness of the internal fragments, understanding and working with the very different parts of myself, encouraging them to feel safe enough to come out and talk and show themselves. She now was unable to see that I had a part who was very capable of working with clients, but who did not come out in the session. Because of the DID I am able to work ethically in an emotionally and mentally demanding profession while at the same time having internal parts that struggle. There is a huge discrepancy between parts and for years H assured me that she knew how to work with such fragmentation, and it never was a problem for her – until I started seeing clients.

I told H that her threat of ending my therapy was destroying my therapy and she told me that it could go either way, destroy it or make it possible to continue. I told her that there was a third way and this was me continuing therapy so I can finish my training but not doing any work – I was very angry at the time as I needed H so I could finish my training (something she knew).

The next session H told me that if I did not stop my training she would no longer work with me; she said she was “no longer willing to support me through my training”. I begged her not to do this but it was only when I agreed to end my training that H reconsidered working with me.

I suggested that what was happening between us could be a repeat of something from my childhood. Her reply was “Yes everything is a repeat! Everything is a repeat!” I felt mocked by her sarcastic tone and asked her who she thought she was for me in the transference, she replied: “You know that better than I do!” I tried to explain to her that I am not asking this question because I want to manipulate her, I just wondered if she ever asked herself what is being repeated here for me. H replied “everything is being turned around, and turned around. I'm not going to get into this right now” I asked her why and she told me because I wanted to attack her. I explained to her that it was important to me to understand what was happening as my therapy was breaking down but H refused to explore this and kept saying I was attacking her. When I told her that this was something to do with my past and was coming from me (my projections were attacking her psyche), she replied “Everything is yours!”

I asked H why she did not want to discuss the change of the boundaries and her answer was “because that is the way I did it” I replied that I felt she didn’t do it right as this was now the end of my therapy H replied: “I haven’t been doing anything right for months!”
H continued to call me an abuser throughout the sessions yet whenever I asked her what I had done that was abusive she told me that I already knew this. I told her I did not know and I needed her to tell me to understand what was happening. H said that she was never afraid of me becoming physically violent but suggested that it was the emotional abuse that was the worst and explained that it was the emails in which I wrote she “did not support me, she had no feelings, was heartless and cruel, cold. A list of all the things that she was not, that she did wrong, that she can’t do. I can’t even begin to tell you! Your emails are controlling, bullying and abusive!”

At the end of this session H changed her mind again and asked if we should try again. At the start of next session, however, H told me that she changed her mind and she decided against working with me. She told me I had a vicious, powerful abuser within and she was no match for him. I didn’t understand but told her that I would try anything to make this work. H asked “How will I know you have not been sent from inside to keep this going?” This comment felt sinister to me and I wondered at this point whether she had identified with the abusers from my past.

H then decided she would give me 2 months. In this “trial period”, as she first called it, I was to show that I had changed (no more emails and phone calls between sessions), the trial period then changed to an “ending period” in the same session and when I asked her if she would continue seeing me after this “ending period” if I had done everything right in those two months, she replied that she could not answer that but that she may consider it. I left the session that day (7th of March) wanting to continue ‘therapy’ with H but became very ill when I got home. I became aware that therapy was feeling very abusive of me and that I had to protect myself. I made the decision not to return although this is never what I wanted. I wanted my therapy and my therapist but at this point it felt like emotional rape and Ms B agreed not to go back as she felt it was getting too dangerous for me. Ms B is happy to be interview if necessary and or provide a written statement.

On the 13th of March I received a letter from H dated 5th of March asking for one more session to end and if she did not hear from me by the 16th of March she would assume I was not coming back.

On the 21st of March I received a letter with the final bill.

On the 24th of March I wrote H a letter asking for mediation so we could be helped.

H replied on the 27th of March that mediation was not an option, that I was unable to work within boundaries and that she would send all my pictures back to me. (This was very distressing for me as the pictures were given to her to keep so I did not have to leave them in my home where my son or husband could see them.)

Ms B emailed H and asked her to do nothing with the pictures at the moment but if she felt unable to hold them to send the pictures to her.

I replied to her on the 29th March:

H I am writing this because I now want to explain how this felt for ME. You explained 
how it felt for you and now I want to explain how it felt for me/us.

I also have taped the last 4 sessions which I was advised to do so by other professionals. I will also send this email via letter too. I don’t want to complain but I can’t sort it out while it feels you are unable to hear me. I am hoping this email will help you to understand how it was for me so I don’t have to involve a governing body to help me. You said once that I want to destroy you I don’t want to destroy you! I want my therapy! This is my struggle to be heard. What I really wanted to do was get my therapy back, I wanted and want to still work with you but it appears you absolutely can’t hear me; what was really happening for me and how it felt. When I started therapy with you, you knew about my separate parts. But you were confident in helping me. You actively encouraged and supported me writing emails to you. You then told me that I could phone you. I found phoning you extremely difficult but with YOUR help and encouragement I started to pick up the phone and phone you when things felt unbearable. And all that seemed OK with you. Not once did you mention that I must not phone, quite the opposite, you welcomed and encouraged it. You shared with me when you would be home and when you were not at home, you seemed to realise the importance in that for me. You actively encouraged my need for you. And that was correct. It was what was needed. You not once told me to stop phoning or emailing you. Instead you bought pens and play dough, paper and a folder to put my paintings in. You brought a children's book into the session one day and read to us out of it. YOU encouraged my need for you because back then you knew that this is what needed to happen. It was OK that you did that because that made the bond between you and me stronger. But with this strong bond and NEED for you, other parts were also triggered. Parts that wanted to protect us from you because they feared you would hurt us. OF COURSE these parts exist. OF COURSE this is to be expected. Especially when you REALLY DO mess up and do or say something that is very hurtful and destroyed our trust in you. But these parts are not abusive in the way you keep on saying – they are there for a reason and were acutely triggered by you careless actions and words. I/they were angry and hurt and that needed to be expressed.  When this happened those parts of me wrote to you in angry ways, acted out in angry ways but never physically hurt you. Those angry/terrified parts [that is why they are angry because they fear intimacy and attachment!!] are very important and you let them write to you, not once telling me that they were too much for you, too angry too abusive too manipulative. Never did you tell me that the emails were getting out of hand or the phone calls too many. Even before the break, you scanned pictures from the children book and sent it to us. You were still able to hold onto that this is what we needed. But then something happened after the break. You turned on us and it was disastrous to me and my therapy. In the first session after the break you told us that we are no longer allowed to email or phone you. And should we do so, the therapy will be over. That was a complete withdrawal of all that kept us safe. It was done without care or empathy and was devastating. How abusive are you? YOU acted out! How dare you encourage us for almost 5 years to email and phone you and suddenly you say that if we do it again we are out. YOU are wrong and abusive, and I can’t help thinking that you set me up because you must have known that WE were not all able to stick to that rule. Of course you knew because you had been talking to the desperate ones over the years. You KNEW that they would still need to phone and email you. Suddenly all you could speak was abuse, it seemed you couldn’t see the other desperate parts of me. And then after threatening us continuously with the end of my therapy you said you wanted to continue work with me!!! The next session you had changed your mind again. Thankfully I have taped it all. Fortunately I taped YOUR ruthless and threatening behaviour towards me!!! the client!!! The tapes explain well why I was not able to come back to you again. You were no therapist, you had turned into the abuser. I felt raped by you. I actually felt raped physically after the last session because of the mind fucking you did. You took on my projections and acted them out. The therapist I had trusted to be able to use the projections to understand my agony had fallen in so far that she had identified with it and become the abuser. I was attacked and dehumanised by you, treated like a thing with no feelings – and of course that was the projection. I have since talked to people who understand such strong projections and I was also told by a very senior analyst that it sounded like the psychotic parts of you were probably not worked through in your own analysis had been triggered by mine and you were no longer able to contain yourself and me. This made YOU the abuser H. YOU became the abuser and I am so glad that I taped the last few sessions as I was advised to do by two therapists. You were unbelievably cold, uncaring, vicious and ruthless towards me the last few times I saw you. Yet you spoke of me as the abuser over and over whilst being abusive. And your last letter to me shows just how much you have lost the plot. It says I am unable to work within the boundaries of the therapy. I was working within the boundaries – boundaries you were responsible for initiating and holding. It was you whom changed the boundaries suddenly and without warning, putting impossible conditions into the therapy, which I could not adhere to because of the separate parts of me. Then you blamed me, expecting me to suddenly get control of parts of me that are, as yet, completely split off and whom I cannot control. Fact is that you encouraged us to write to you and phone. I have evidence of that. You did a brilliant job at getting us to depend on you and needing you, welcoming our dependency and encouraging it that is why we were able to show other parts of us too, the ones who wanted to protect us against such needs. Needs and attachments to grown-ups meant torture and psychic death and almost physical death. Who the hell do you think you are calling the parts of me who want to protect me against such catastrophic feelings abusers??? YOU turned abuser! The e mails weren’t abusive, they were about confusion and pain and anger. It seems you could no longer deal with the intensity that was happening within and outside. YOU lost the plot, I was the client and was doing what I needed to do, it was up to you to keep me safe and keep the boundaries safe for me and you. You did not do that. Withdrawing all that kept us safe wasn’t you keeping the boundaries, it was reactive and retaliatory. You didn’t look after yourself. You got me no support you got yourself not enough support. You messed up big time H. BIG TIME. On more than one occasion. And now you are trying to blame me. We tried to show you our feelings, that we felt love for you. You see, we CAN do that. You had no compassion. You were a stone. I will not be blamed and thought of as the bad one here who wasn’t able to stick to the “boundaries” the one whose fault it was that the therapy collapsed. It was YOUR fault H, you were supposed to look after yourself enough, pushing in threats NOT boundaries destroyed the therapy. I tried to get mediation without getting the organisation involved even when others advised me to go to the organisation straight away and not to bother with you anymore as you have fallen in so deep you can’t see what is going on and are dangerous to me but I ignored them I thought I give it all a chance and I don’t want to complain against you because I love you so much. I was told to talk to the organisation straight away and name you, which I haven’t done . I also told the foundation that I don’t want to complain when I was asked if I wanted to complain against you. I said NO! I don’t want to do that. I tried and tried and tried and told you how much you mean to me and what do I get back....this letter that shows me you still cannot understand how it was for me. You are blaming me for your failures. Burning out is one thing but abusing your client is another. You have turned abusive. I have tried to get help for you and me, my therapy. And your response is that you will not be challenged and it is not an option. You stupid woman, you are too self assured. Because now you WILL be challenged and doing this MY way IS an option. This is not revenge but I will not continue to allow you to blame and scapegoat me. This is not my fault. I remember you sprayed the fly in your room with spray and it died. You put it in the basket next to me and it buzzed while dying. You didn’t seem to mind listening to the dying of the fly who was obviously struggling. It was only after I got so upset by the buzzing of the dying fly that you put it outside, came back in and then after it was still buzzing outside you killed it. But it took Me to tell you that this must have been terrible for the fly. It was dying, cos you had sprayed it and you were ok with the fly slowly dying, you were not only ok with it but you didn’t mind listening to its struggle. That just sums up who you are and your character. And my character. I HATE torture and suffering and pain and feel utter distress and unbearable pain when someone is suffering [like I feel for you while writing this] but you... you don’t seem to be in touch with this part of you, I doubt it exists. You are quite ok with watching someone die in front of you. and that is why I couldn’t come back to you anymore. You had no compassion for me [you admitted on the tape too] instead you saw me as dangerous and abusive which made you angry and resentful towards me, something you acted out on me every single session. It became like a mantra for you, over and over. H you NEED to try to step into understanding how it felt for us because it feels to me that you are utterly sure what happened and to me this is not what happened. You need to understand what happened TO ME. It seems you have identified with the abuser [that was an angry part of me who was rightly angry because of what you did] to such an extent that all you can see is that abuser that needs to be worked with, not understanding that it is actually YOU who triggered the angry part of me. Because what you have done is highly dangerous. I am not dangerous but what you have done to me is extremely threatening. I actually felt compassion for you when you told me how a part of me treated you, I felt such compassion for you. My heart hurt because you hurt. But you can’t feel compassion for me, you even have forgotten that I am multiple. I think you really need to grasp why I sent you the emails that you consider so abusive [and others don’t] and why I made [or parts of me] made the phone calls. The reason is that you made a complete U turn. You are saying that I became abusive with my emails and phonecalls and you need to understand why parts of me acted the way they did, it was actually quite normal, because the very things that had contained me before, like emails phone calls and support, knowing when you were home you took away from me. You even emailed me once during a break to let me know that you were home and thinking of me this was all so important to me and suddenly you started to change and take it all away from me. I was in utter crisis. Then the angry parts of me wrote and phoned you. Of course they did!  The break was dreadful because of that, there was such confusion and pain and to top it all of I then by chance I discover that you were home 2 days earlier when you told me you were going to be home. Technically [concretely] you don’t have to tell me these things but because you knew and understood how important it was for me you had always told me before and suddenly it was gone. all the things that had contained me before you took away. You lied to me and that caused terrible things to happen inside me. Yet after that you were incapable Of seeing the distress.
 I want us to be able to come to a place where I feel you have heard what It feels like for me. I don’t want to involve a governing body and I have no wish to complain about you. I do not wish to seek revenge or to destroy you – something you have accused me of. This is my last attempt to be heard by you. I need you to understand the damage your actions caused, leading to the premature and tragic ending of my therapy and leaving me in a very precarious place. I have been advised that if this doesn’t come to a satisfactory resolution, where I feel heard, then I should take advice from the BPC.

I did not hear from H I then wrote another email on 25/07/2013

Dear H
This is a difficult e-mail to write and I hope that you can find it in your heart to read it.
It has been over a year since we have last spoken and the breakdown of my therapy has affected me deeply, on many levels.
Not one day goes by that I do not wonder about how this could have happened; how our relationship could go from sitting next to each other, drawing pictures and playing with play dough together to an (in my mind) absolute disgust and repulsion for me.
I wonder if it would be possible to offer me a talk with you, maybe on the telephone or email, so I can have an ending and move on.
The reason I would like to have this opportunity is not so I can come back to therapy with you, but to be able to end the torture in my mind that I put myself through day in day out.
I know you know that endings are so very important, especially when attachment wounds are deep. The breakdown would only be half as soul destroying for me if I could have a reparation... not to the point of working together again, but to the point of offering each other empathy for what we have both been through, within this relationship.
I am very sorry for all the hurt I have caused you; I hope you can find enough compassion for me too, to reply to this email and open up a communication that will offer me an end to the pain that I still feel regarding the therapy breakdown.
kind regards

On the 27.7.2013 I received a letter from H telling me “it was unfortunate that your therapy ended abruptly, but it will not be possible to do as you request.”

I have since tried to come to terms with this experience but have been unable to find closure. I am hoping that bringing this experience to the BPC will give me the opportunity to have my side heard (and hopefully acknowledged) by H and will give me closure.
I am also concerned about H’ work as a counsellor/analyst and hope that the BPC will help H understand what may be happening to her so that she will not repeat with other clients what she has done with me.