Mar 1, 2016

BPC Appeal


 16th of April 2015 

Reasons for an appeal: 
• The Complaint Procedure was not followed correctly. 
 • Evidence readily available at the time was not used. 
• New evidence came to light in the registrant’s and supervisors’ statements. 


After the Screening Committee had studied the complaint against H it was decided there was a potential breach of the Code of Ethics by the registrant, henceforth the complaint was passed on to the Intake Committee which appointed a Hearing Panel. Instead of receiving a date for the hearing, as explained in the BPC’s “Guidelines for Making a Complaint” and the Complaint Procedure (CP) under 4.5 and 4.7, I received a letter stating: 

 “The Hearing Panel has studied the material submitted in COM06-14. After serious consideration, the panel concluded that there is no case to be answered in the context of the complaint, and has recommended that the complaint be dismissed [… ] As a result of the Hearing Panel’s findings, the BPC has accepted its recommendation to dismiss this complaint without prejudice.” 

I wrote to The Professional Conduct Case Manager Ms C asking for clarification: In the "Guidelines for Making a Complaint" document the BPC states that the "complaint will now be considered by the SC which decides if there appears to be a potential breach and whether the complaint should therefore be taken to the next stage of the Procedure. [...] This Committee will evaluate your complaint and assess whether it could be substantiated, and, if it were to be substantiated, whether this would indicate that there has been a breach of the Code. The Committee will decide whether or not your complaint should be pursued, and you will be informed of its decision. If the complaint goes ahead, the SC pass all relevant information onto another body called the Intake Committee (IC) which selects a Hearing Panel (HP) to process the complaint and which will set a date for a Hearing." 

As the SC has already considered my complaint to demonstrate grounds for potential breach of the Code by the registrant, it was moved onto the IC which selected a Hearing Panel. Since this has been confirmed I have been waiting for the Hearing Panel to set a date for the actual Hearing, as described in said document, instead I have received a letter announcing the Hearing Panel has recommended the complaint be dismissed. Two questions follow from this statement which I would like the BPC to clarify: - Why has the Hearing Panel not set a date for a Hearing but made a decision without a Hearing? - To whom in the BPC does the Hearing Panel "recommend" the complaint be dismissed? 

The "Guidelines for Making a Complaint" document goes on to explain that the appellant has an opportunity to appeal if: 
a) evidence that was reasonably available was not considered 
b) the CP had not been properly followed 

I believe both points above need to be considered in my case as: 
a) The digital recordings that I offered were not called upon as evidence, nor has the 
b) CP been followed properly as there was no Hearing. 

Ms C replied: “The Hearing Panel may decide to reach its determination without proceeding to the hearing if it considers this is the best way forward. Under the provision of paragraph 4.34, the Panel may decide its own procedures if they adhere to the principles of general fairness. After careful study and consideration of the material, because the panel did not find breaches of the Code of Ethics in the context of the complaint, they considered there was no case to answer and it would have not been in the interest of fairness to proceed to a hearing.” 

Following questions arise after this reply which are part of my appeal: 

1. “The Hearing Panel may decide to reach its determination without proceeding to the hearing if it considers this is the best way forward.” 

 a. Please confirm whether a Hearing Panel can, in private, without having provided a hearing, listened to both sides, witnesses and evidence dismiss a complaint after the SC has recommended there be a hearing. 

b. Please clarify how such a concealed and non-transparent judgment of a complaint in which evidence was not considered and a hearing not held is “without prejudice” and how the 5.1 “civil court standard of proof, the balance of probability” has been applied to in the finding. 

c. Please clarify the phrase “best way forward” as it fails to explain in which way it is the best way forward and for whom. 

 2. 4.26 reads that “at any time the panel may decide to adjourn its proceedings”, yet there is no section confirming that the Hearing Panel may at any time decide to dismiss the complaint and/or proceedings without a hearing. Instead, the "Guidelines for Making a Complaint" document makes clear that it is the Screening Committee that ”decides whether or not your complaint should be pursued”. Please point me towards the paragraph in the BPC’s Complaint Procedure which specifically states the Hearing Panel can dismiss a complaint that has already been considered by the Screening Committee to have possibly breached the Code of Ethics without a hearing. 

The paragraph 4.34 The Professional Conduct Case Manager suggests to be the paragraph defining that the Hearing Panel can dismiss a complaint without having held a hearing does not actually state this instead it refers to the paragraphs just before 4.34 when the hearing is already in process with both parties already present. 


3. What are “the principles of general fairness”, where can I find them and who do they concern in this case and in what way? 

4. Please clarify why “it would have not been in the interest of fairness to proceed to a hearing”, how not having a hearing, hence not being able to call witnesses and present evidence, is fair and who benefits from this “fairness”? 

5. Please clarify how the “study of the material has been careful” when my evidence was not taken into account, no witnesses have been called and there was no hearing. 

6. In your findings, please provide a detailed account of each allegation made against H in context of the complaint that the panel found did not break the Code of Ethics -- from her telling me my question doesn’t deserve an answer to blackmailing me out of my training and all other points I have listed in the complaint (and this appeal). 

7. 5.8 states “the FtP Officer will write to the complainant and the registrant complained against informing them of the finding and sanction, if any, and the specified reasons given by the panel. Every endeavor will be made to ensure that this is done as soon as possible after the hearing.” Please explain why I was informed of the findings without having had a hearing. 


As the Complaint Procedure has not been followed correctly, the hearing panel’s “specific reasons” are missing, evidence which was readily available at the time was not used and new evidence has come to light, I will respond to each point and add to my original complaint, via this appeal, point 13 and ask the Appeal Panel to re-examine all points as well as the complaint and provide a hearing in which all evidence is taken into account and possible questions can be clarified. 

 Point 1: Registrants must at all times act in a way that they reasonably believe to be in the best interest of their patients. At all times the welfare of the patient must be paramount and every care taken to ensure that the patient is not exploited in any way. 

The Panel’s reply: In the early years of the therapy, the Registrant allowed more than ordinary flexibility in contact outside sessions and then latterly brought the boundaries back into the more standard practice of containing communication within sessions. The Complainant may have experienced the boundaries set down in the later stage of therapy as inconsistent, however, the Ethical Guidelines are clear that “if a registrant is unsure of the appropriateness of any existing or proposed relationship or conduct that might affect … a patient…, a senior colleague … should be consulted for advice.” On this issue, the Hearing Panel found that the Registrant had consulted two supervisors on this issue, both of whom endorsed her approach. Therefore, the Registrant adhered to the Ethical Guidelines.

My response: Please advise me on where and how to find the Ethical Guidelines [Clause 1(d)]. Dissociative Identity Disorder (D.I.D.) is an attachment disorder (Attachment E) in which the sufferer finds ways, by dissociating, to attach and stay attached to an important and needed Other who cares and abuses simultaneously. 
It is therefore of utmost importance for the therapist to receive appropriate supervision while working with such a client in order to become aware and act appropriately, if the therapist is taking on the role of this caring and abusive Other (through Projective Identification). 

H did not consult appropriate supervision for my condition until 3 years into my therapy with her although she had known I suffered from D.I.D. right from the start in 2007 (B’s statement). I was unaware of this fact which became clear to me after having read H’ and her supervisors’ reply. The D.I.D. supervisor informed the registrant, after she had approached him in 2010, that out of session contact with people suffering from D.I.D. was a “frequent problem in psychotherapy with this client group” (Appendix 3 & Attachment E), something H would have been aware of right from the start had she been receiving D.I.D. supervision. 

H acknowledges that her “boundaries were challenged by me from the beginning of the therapy”; that I was in “extreme states […] at risk of severe self-harm and dangerous acting out”( registrant’s reply p.1); that I showed her “pictures of my cuts […] and pictures painted in my own blood”; that I “called her in state of anxiety of having lost too much blood or fear of blood poisoning because I cut myself” and that there was “a threatening and abusive quality to my presence” (p.2). Judging by these statements H felt challenged right from the start, to the point of feeling threatened. Yet she continued working with me for 3 years without appropriate D.I.D. supervision until she admitted just before the breakdown of the therapy that “she doesn’t know how to help me other than not tolerate it (verbatim 24th February).” 

The above statements also reveal how severe the damage, done by the registrant, was by the time H approached the D.I.D. supervisor who points out that not only was H’ previous supervisor Mr. C “not experienced in working with clients with severe dissociative symptoms” but that H was already experiencing “difficulty in holding manageable boundaries, especially around contact with her client between sessions” (Appendix 3). 

The allegation that damage was done to me in this time is reinforced by the “senior member of the S.A.P.” who acknowledges that H came to see him when “the escalation of enactment had reached the point where there was no longer any possibility of meaningful psychotherapeutic work, while attempts to sustain it seemed merely to provoke a response which could not be contained and put the patient in danger” (Appendix 8). 

The Hearing Panel found that both supervisors “endorsed H’ approach” which is ambiguous hence misleading as no reference has been made to the specific approach both supervisors supposedly endorsed. In my complaint I accuse H of withdrawing all support from me before and after the holiday break -- an approach in contradiction to her supervisors’ guidance: 

 • The D.I.D. supervisor recommended “not to withdraw or retaliate in these circumstances” yet H did withdraw and retaliate, which was markedly followed by the breakdown of the therapeutic space, which is part of my complaint. This same supervisor recommended “manageable and padded boundaries” -- not the removal of them (Appendix 3). 

 • Supervisor Mr. C advised H that “it would be counterproductive to attempt to ‘forbid’ out of session contacts such as emails and telephone calls” and that “unless H had been willing to adapt in this way it seemed unlikely that she would be able to engage the patient in therapy at all.” He continues “…given this adaption, Mrs. Z would be able to make use of analytic psychotherapy” (Appendix 2). 

Clearly, both supervisors advised against the withdrawal of support suggesting that if H did not withdraw, but adapt, I would be able to make use of the therapy. I therefore ask the Panel to clarify: 
 • Why were the withdrawals of support that happened before and after the break not examined and talked about in a hearing before the complaint was dismissed. 

• Why were the withdrawals before and after the break not mentioned and clarified in detail in the findings? 

• Why was H’ explanation in point 4 accepted when she completely fails to answer to the allegation of withdrawing all support before and after the break (withdrawal of email contact, mobile phone contact, skype contact, a substitute therapist, helplines, letter to GP, etc.) instead regurgitates her reasons for ending the therapy prematurely. 

H not only took away all support (before the holiday break) but failed to offer care replacing this previous support -- she did not write to my GP nor did she get me in touch with a substitute therapist or any other helplines. “No it’s not. No! I, it’s not about helplines in a sense. I didn’t, in a way, I think that, I think you’re right, it would have been helpful if I had remembered that, but I didn’t!” (24th March Verbatim). 

H took away all previously offered support and “did not remember” to leave something in its place before the holiday break and then stated after the holiday break, I was never to email or phone her again, if I did the therapy would be over (all verbatim). This retaliatory behaviour and lack of compassion was possibly a sign and symptom of burn-out which the D.I.D. supervisor mentioned to H when he told her that ”therapist burn-out was sadly not an uncommon outcome” (Appendix 3). 

H acknowledges her inability to be compassionate in session 24th February. The colleague who does admit to advising H to withdraw all support and threaten me with the end of therapy is Mr. “Senior member of the S.A.P.” who states: “it seemed therefore that the only recourse was to attempt a trial of whether the patient might be able to work within the boundaries by making it clear that the therapy would have to end if she were not” (Appendix 8). 

Thus questions I would like to ask in the hearing would be: Did H receive this advice from Mr. “Senior Member” as a colleague or a supervisee? Who was H in supervision with at the time? What and how much experience in working with D.I.D. did this man have to give H such advice? It seems like no one supervised H extensively enough to be able to get a feel for what it was that she and I needed to continue working together and I would like to know who her supervisor was at the time she threatened to end the therapy. 

In four and a half years H only received 6 supervision sessions from an experienced D.I.D. supervisor and “several” sessions from her previous supervisor who was not trained and experienced in working with D.I.D. and who no longer keeps any evidence (of the number) of sessions H actually did receive from him regarding her work with me. This neglect led to the deterioration of my mental health, added to the aggravation of my condition and ultimately put me in danger (H’ reply Appendix 6 & 7 & 9). 

I (and my family) paid a high price in this time not just emotionally but I paid thousands of pounds to a therapist whose boundaries felt challenged by me right from the start yet did not refer me on nor seek suitable supervision until three years later; instead she nurtured and exploited an attachment in me towards her which she was unable to understand and work with. Evidently, H did not act in my best interest nor did she consider my welfare as paramount when she 

 • did not put substitute care in place of previously offered support; 
• started work with me without employing a supervisor who had experience in working with the symptoms of severe dissociation. 

As a result she exploited and damaged me further when she fostered an attachment towards her that is at the core of D.I.D.; my dissociation worsened (my mind became more fragmented, separate, unconscious) in order to deal with the care and the abuse H acted out on me simultaneously. 

Point 2: Registrants must take all reasonable steps to preserve the confidentiality of information acquired through their practice and protect the privacy of individuals and organizations about whom information is held. 

The Panel’s reply: The complaint alleges that the Registrant violated this confidentiality by sharing information about the Complainant with another of the Registrant’s patients, who coincidentally was in the same supervision group as the Complainant. The Hearing Panel found this allegation to be unsubstantiated. Any breach of confidentially occurred as a result of boundary breaking by the Complainant, who arrived at the Registrant’s consulting room at an unscheduled time, in a condition apparently affected by alcohol, and refused to leave. In addition to disrupting sessions of other patients, the Complainant exposed herself and her relationship with the Registrant. This was not in the control of the Registrant and therefore is not an ethical breach. 

My response: The Hearing Panel found the allegation of H “sharing information about the Complainant with another of her patient to be unsubstantiated” when H admits in her reply to sharing information about her experience with me to this client (p. 3 & p.4). 

The reason H gives as to why she phoned L up “later that evening” and shared information about another client (p.4) is a reflection of her difficulty to contain her anxieties enough to act professionally within the psychoanalytic and therapeutic frame. 

In psychoanalytic therapy the practitioner works with the client’s f/phantasies. It was H’ responsibility, as a psychoanalytic therapist, to tell client L that something unexpected had happened which stopped her from seeing L that evening; that she would see her again next session and then work with client L’s fantasies and feelings around this experience -- this included L’s fear of the client “being a man” (p.3), which has now become a break of L’s confidentiality. 

Instead H, having already spoken to L at the door, abandons her psychoanalytic stance and, following her own needs, calls client L in the evening to then discard her own anxieties of the incident onto L because she “had to explain to patient L why she could not keep her appointment.” 

H admits to telling client L about a “very disturbed patient inside who would not leave and that the patient was a woman” (p.3&4). So even though H did not actively state to L that it was ‘Mrs. Z’ who was a very disturbed, female patient who did not want to leave (p.3&4), H told L those very details about ‘a client in her house’. 

If L saw me leave H’ house that evening, she would have been aware that all those details were referring to me. H did therefore not take “all reasonable steps to preserve the confidentiality of information acquired.” 
It was irresponsible and reckless (and non-therapeutic for L) to tell L any details of this incident as I too was H’ client at the time and had a right to have all details and information of my distress and state of mental health protected. 

Although my being in extreme distress disrupted “sessions of other patients”, I did not “expose myself” to client L as she turned up at H’ house after H had already invited me into her house (p.4). Having misconstrued this fact of when and how this information got to client L the Panel goes on to put onus onto me although my distress was partly brought on by H’ behaviour and partly through the psychoanalytic work itself as it states in the BPC’s 4.5c Statement on confidentiality: 
 “Psychoanalytic psychotherapy is based on theories about the ways in which conscious thought and behaviour is influenced by unconscious mental activity; this activity often producing symptoms and difficulties.. Psychoanalytic psychotherapy provokes strong feelings in patients towards the whole process and towards their analyst or therapist; the patient’s communications and behaviour have to be understood within the context of this relationship. In this kind of psychotherapy patients are invited, not just to be themselves and to reveal intimate secrets, but at times to reveal their worst. This activity can only occur in a situation in which the patient trusts there to be a high degree of neutrality and confidentiality; any breach of confidentiality would be acutely damaging to the essential relationship between the patient and the psychoanalytic psychotherapist and a violation of the patient’s innermost thoughts, feelings, fantasies and dreams. 

“Very strict confidentiality is an essential prerequisite for the focus on and the use of this material. The disclosure of such material to third parties can be acutely damaging to the process and should be resisted in nearly all circumstances.” 

Point 7: Registrants must restrict their practice within the limits of their own competence and seek professional consultation or supervision in any situation which may reach this limit. As a matter of good practice, registrants should exercise clinical judgment in considering whether to seek a medical opinion about a patient. 

The Panel’s reply: The Hearing Panel noted that the Registrant sought supervision throughout this case, including specialist supervision from the Clinic for Dissociative Studies, and wrote to the GP seeking a referral to the Clinic for Dissociative Studies. The Panel found no ethical breach in the Registrant’s practice in this regard. 

My response: Please refer to my response in point 1 and recognise that H did not practice within the limits of her own competence as she was not equipped to take on a client suffering from D.I.D. because she did not consult appropriate supervision until 3 years into my therapy although she knew I suffered from it right from the start. 
She was advised by B before my first session (a month in advance) that I needed a therapist who was able to work with D.I.D. (B’s statement) especially as my last therapy had broken down because of the therapist’s ignorance of D.I.D. 

The panel states that “the Registrant sought specialist supervision from the Clinic for Dissociative Studies and wrote to the GP seeking a referral to the Clinic for Dissociative Studies” but fails to recognise that H did not write to the Clinic of Dissociation off her own accord (refer to complaint). It was only after I had been in constant crisis for the first 3 years of my therapy that I asked her to write to my GP so I could get referred to the clinic (refer to complaint). After my requesting to be referred to the Clinic H wrote to the GP – once (appendix 4). I was then referred to see a NHS psychologist. When the NHS psychologist report came back acknowledging that I could benefit from specialist help H told me we should try and do it alone and that she did not work in a team. 

Nothing more was said about getting help from the Clinic until the last couple of sessions before the breakdown in which H states (Attachment A); (Verbatim 24th February); (Verbatim 7th March).: 

• “It is very hard for you to work with one therapist and for me as a therapist to work with all of the different aspects. It is very, very hard which is why most people don’t actually work with dissociation like that! In a single setting, it’s very, very, very hard. For both; both you and for me” 

 • “I guess that’s one of the things about where one person isn’t enough. You know, maybe, maybe it DOES take a clinic or something that is set up to be able to offer a level of support that I can’t give on my own. Because I am just one person; and a human being.” 

Even in H’ trying to rid of me she still did not see the importance of getting me specialist, instead she suggested I search for a support group myself (verbatim 7th March). It was H’ lack of correspondence with the NHS psychiatrist/psychologist in regards to getting a referral to the Clinic of Dissociative Studies that prompted B and myself to write to H numerous times requesting her to get more support for me (B’s email & Attachment F). 
H did not put any more effort into getting me referred to the Clinic (or any other help) instead told me that we should try it together, alone; she let me struggle on, on my own, leaving her as the only port of call when I was in crisis. 

This is supported by H’ statement “However, in the absence of other forms of support, I felt it important to contain as much of Mrs. Z’s disturbance as I was able, under increasing pressure both from Mrs. Z and at times, her friend, B, who wrote or phoned me when she herself was having difficulty coping with Mrs. Z” (page 5). 

 Therefore, H did not exercise clinical judgment in considering whether to seek a medical opinion as she knew about my condition from the start and should have sought appropriate medical opinion then. 
She therefore did not restrict her practice within the limits of her own competence as she was unaware of what working with D.I.D. would involve because she hadn’t sought professional consultation or supervision at the beginning. In fact, H sounded like (Attachment A) she was feeling rather alone in her work with me and was looking to me for support when she should have been having (regular) D.I.D. supervision to offer her that support and guidance. 

Point 13: Registrants must carry out their duties in a professional and ethical way and maintain appropriate and professional boundaries with the patients at all times, so that they are not exploited in any way. 

My response: H was unable to provide ordinary flexibility regarding boundaries throughout my therapy as she admits in one of the sessions (Attachment B). 
H encouraged and nurtured my dependency on her by widening the goal posts of the therapeutic frame to a “more than ordinary” extent by suggesting all through my therapy that email contact between sessions was very important (complaint & Verbatim 5th of March) and that I must continue writing to her. 
This in-between-session contact became a significant form of communication between both of us as 
H too used it to act out unconscious dynamics that were exploiting my attachment towards her (refer to complaint). H’ supervisor at the time states that H “recognised that she had initially made herself available to her client for between-session contact out of compassion for her client’s pain” (Appendix 3) which indicates that H chose the ‘boundaries’ of my therapy according to how compassionate she was feeling towards me rather than keeping them “appropriate and professional”; therefore basing ‘boundaries’ on her own needs rather than the needs of her client which explains the sudden withdrawal of all support when she no longer felt compassion (verbatim 24th February). 

After H nurtured my dependency on her for more than 4 years she suddenly demanded that I never call or email her again, if I did, the therapy would be over. This is not “bringing boundaries back into the more standard practice” as it was done in a retaliatory and threatening manner without providing me, the client, with a space to talk about the new conditions/sudden change. 

Whenever I wanted to talk with H, within the sessions, about this change, she took it very personally, threatened, attacked or mocked me and told me to look for a new therapist (Verbatim 22nd & 24th February & 5th March). H’ boundaries throughout the therapy and near the end, after she had yet again changed the goal posts, where not “manageable and padded” nor “appropriate or professional” but by H own opinion non-existent (Attachment B & H’ reply p. 6, point 5). 

I allege therefore that the rigid conditions that developed out of this lack of appropriate and professional boundaries were unethical and abusive; especially when H denied me the right to be self-governed by demanding I stop my training (Attachment C & Verbatim 7th March). 

When I tried to explore what was happening between us she mocked me; when I tried to express how I felt she threatened me; when I expressed angry emotions she called me an abuser (refer to all recorded sessions). 
 H exploited me emotionally and financially. She did not know how to work with the attachment dynamics of D.I.D., had no D.I.D. supervision but nurtured this unhealthy attachment and dependency in parts/alters who she was able to accept because they were vulnerable and needy. Parts/alters who felt threatening to her, because they criticized her, were emotionally abused and rejected (Attachment B). 


Point 14: Registrants shall, in all their professional work value integrity, impartiality and respect for patients and seek to establish the highest ethical and clinical standards in their work. 

The Panel’s Reply: The Panel found no basis for any ethical violation in this category. 

My Response: Perhaps it is to be expected that BPC registrants are permitted to work to such an ethically and professionally low standard when the governing body leads with such a poor example regarding impartiality, integrity, and respect. 

To offer me, the client, a member of the public the BPC boasts it wants to protect and serve, one sentence to a point that embraces most of my complaint is absolutely inadequate let alone “fair”, “seriously considered “ or “respectful”. 

 Moving on, I refer to my answer in point 1. Although H states that she “maintained respect for my situation throughout her work with me”, she has not explained precisely what situation she is referring to: 
• My suffering from D.I.D. and working with a therapist who received no supervision for it? 
• Her sharing information about me to another client? 
• Her blackmailing me into stopping my training? 
• Her emotional withdrawal? 
• Her withdrawal of all previously offered support without substituting it with other support or 
• Her threat of ending my therapy should I speak within sessions about the things H could not bear to hear? 

The registrant “hoped to offer containment and gradually build up trust which would enable me to manage, more compassionately, the most disturbing aspects of my life” and fails to understand that her ignorance of D.I.D. and her actions based on this ignorance were damaging, not containing. 

Also, what a client internalises is the relationship with the therapist, not the actions of the therapist and as there was no wish or desire on H’ part to build up a compassionate relationship (Verbatim 22nd February & Attachment B) towards “my abuser” there was never going to be a “benign container that could have been internalised” (p.2). 

The D.I.D. supervisor was able to see that my criticisms of H’ behaviour were “valid” and thus advised her to be “undefensive” (Appendix 3) but H failed miserably to achieve this. As a result she was unable to value her and my integrity when she, after finding out I was seeing clients, did not consider “holding the psychoanalytic frame as her priority” (p.2) but instead made it her priority to: 

• Demand I speak to her about my training (Attachment D) and later on 
• Blackmail me into stopping my training which eventually led to the end of my therapy with her (Attachment C & Verbatim 7th March). 

H also failed to stay impartial at this point when she took it upon herself to decide what I should and shouldn’t be doing outside therapy sessions (verbatim 7th of March). This is again a break of my personal boundaries. Her inability to stay separate from me enough to work with the negative transference and counter-transference, within therapeutic boundaries, led to her perceiving everything I communicated as a personal attack (Attachment B & all verbatim) which prompted her to become defensive, emotionally abusive and withdraw all support. 

Subsequently, still feeling abused and controlled in the counter-transference, she added conditions to therapy that were impossible to stick to for someone with D.I.D. H put me in a double bind when she demanded I speak only in the session otherwise the therapy would be over, yet when I spoke in the session I was told not to speak about it anymore otherwise the therapy would end. After three weeks of trying to contain and hold my self while trying to communicate with H in the session and her not wanting to hear my distress instead threatening me with the end of my therapy, I broke down and did contact H, not because I was “testing” but because I was no longer able to hold and contain all that I was carrying as the email to H clearly shows (refer to complaint). H, still feeling abused and controlled because of having identified with my projections, saw my reaching out as me needing to abuse and control her. As a result she acted out my projections and rejected/abandoned/bullied/abused. Unable to see the repeat of my past within this ‘therapeutic’ relationship, H continues to believe that to “allow the abuse of her to continue was a continuation of my own abuse” (p.3) and fails to realise that it was her acting out my unbearable projections, which I needed her to hold, contain and feed back to me in manageable pieces continued the abuse of me. 

As a result therapy did not “end in a proper manner” as H indicates she would have liked it to end because H: 

• Put me in a double bind situation in which I was not able to survive psychically unless I stopped thinking, feeling and talking completely about my concerns regarding the break of confidentiality, the threat of ending therapy, the lie, and her complete change of how she was now conducting ‘therapy’. 

• Told me she would not work with me unless I stopped my training. 

It was her inability to hold the tension (due to lack of quality and quantity of supervision sessions) that fractured the therapeutic frame and therefore the trust -- a rupture that was followed by many crisis situations which eventually worsened my mental health and put me in danger. H’ reply “Unfortunately, Mrs. Z chose not to attend any further therapy sessions and did not get in contact with me save to request mediation which was not appropriate” (p.6) is imprecise and together with her dubious description on page 7 why mediation was not an option I would like the Panel to provide a hearing so that H can explain in detail, from her point of view, what exactly happened in the end, why she denied us mediation throughout my therapy and the reasons for this. 

This is an important statement which needs to be thought about and understood as it shows that I wanted to resolve whatever was happening during the therapy and at the end without making a complaint, but it was H who denied me this chance and therefore a proper ending. 

As the BPC claims to act in the interest of public and practitioners, a hearing will surely be in the best interest for both as it will establish whether H’ mental health has been seriously compromised by working above her limits. Should this be the case H can receive appropriate support which in turn will prevent further harm to her (future) clients. For that reason I ask the BPC to act with integrity, impartiality and respect and provide a transparent hearing in which the complaint against H is inspected comprehensively by talking about it, not writing about it; evidence is presented, witnesses are called and a just judgment is made based on a thorough and fair investigation.